Who can assist you in exercising your patient rights?

You may want someone to be able to assist you in the hospital regarding your health condition. Or someone to defend your rights if you can no longer do so yourself. For this purpose, you can rely on a person of trust or representative.

A person of trust

The person of trust may be a family member, a friend, another patient or any other person designated by the patient to assist them in obtaining information about their health condition, in accessing their medical record or obtaining a copy of this, as well as in lodging a complaint. More information is available on http://www.patientrights.be.

  • Document to assign a person of your trust

Who can represent you?

If the patient is unable to exercise their patient rights themself, the representative is the person who exercises the patient's rights on their behalf. This distinguishes the representative from the person of trust who merely assists the patient.